2024 better workplaces challEnge cup MEMBER track
THE 2024 BETTER WORKPLACES CHALLENGE CUP MEMBER TRACK (“MEMBER TRACK”) IS A SINGLE-ROUND VOTING COMPETITION DESIGNED TO SEEK OUT AND PROMOTE HR PROFESSIONALS WHO ARE SHRM MEMBERS AND ARE DEVELOPING INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS TO WORKPLACE CHALLENGES IN ORDER TO CREATE BETTER WORKPLACES. THE MEMBER TRACK IS SPONSORED BY THE SOCIETY FOR HUMAN RESOURCES (“SHRM”) AND SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THESE GENERAL RULES IN ADDITION TO ANY OTHER RULES, POLICIES, TERMS, AND CONDITIONS THAT MAY BE IMPLEMENTED BY SHRM, SUCH AS THE CODE OF ETHICS AND SHRM CONFERENCE EXHIBITOR TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
THE MEMBER TRACK IS ONLY INTENDED FOR PARTICIPANTS FROM THE COUNTRIES NOTED ON SHRM’S WEBSITE AT SHRM.ORG (“PERMITTED LOCATIONS”). DO NOT PARTICIPATE IF RESIDING OUTSIDE THE PERMITTED LOCATIONS AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. INTERNET ACCESS IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. VOID IN CERTAIN EXCLUDED JURISDICTIONS. SEE SHRM’S WEBSITE SHRM.ORG FOR MORE DETAILS. SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS.
ARBITRATION NOTICE: BY PARTICIPATING IN THE MEMBER TRACK, YOU AGREE THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND THE MEMBER TRACK ENTITY WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A JURY TRIAL, CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT, OR CLASS-WIDE ARBITRATION. SEE DISPUTES/ARBITRATION PROVISION CONTAINED HEREIN.
SHRMLabs is in search of the most exciting ways that you, SHRM Members, are creating innovative solutions to tackle today’s most pressing HR challenges. Apply to join SHRM’s exclusive member-only competition celebrating the ways individual HR professionals are making an impact. How are you innovating your workplace?
- ELIGIBILITY: The Member Track is only open to individual participants (“Participants”) that satisfy all of the eligibility participants requirements set forth below, which may be revised and amended in SHRM’s sole and absolute discretion (collectively, “Eligibility Requirements”):
- Participant must be able to measure solution’s impact for at least a 3-month period.
- Participants must be able to attend SHRM’s in-person 2024 Annual Conference in Chicago, Illinois from June 23rd to June 26th, 2024
- Participant must be SHRM members at the time of application.
- Participant must have a WorkplaceTech Community profile.
- Participant must have a minimum of two years’ work experience in HR.
- Participant must have a minimum of three years of total professional work experience (including HR experience).
- Participant must be comfortable sharing their solution publicly and in compliance with their organization’s privacy standards.
- Participant must be able to measure solution’s impact for at least a 3-month period.
- Participant must be able to demonstrate their solution is still happening and making its intended impact.
- Solutions must be “innovative”, which will be defined as: an entirely new approach, process, or application to a problem; a creative combination of programs, tools, or technologies; or a pioneering reapplication of a model from a different industry or sector.
- Participant must have a proper framework to measure the success of their innovation.
- Participant should be prepared to record and submit a short video presentation.
- Participant must be able to attend SHRM’s in-person 2024 Annual Conference in Chicago, Illinois from June 23rd to 26th, 2024.
- Participant must have developed a successful process or solution that directly contributes to better workplaces. In particular, we will be looking for solutions in the following workplace market segments, though others are encouraged to apply:
- Talent Acquisition
- Internal Mobility
- Candidate Experience
- Talent Assessment
- Succession Planning
- Leave Management
- Employee Communication
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Employee Experience
- Learning & Development
- People Analytics
- Business Process Improvement
- Data Analytics
Employees, officers, and directors of SHRM, its parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, and any other individuals or entities who are engaged directly or indirectly in the development of, the production, distribution, or review of materials for, or the administration, execution, or implementation of the Member Track (collectively, the “Member Track Entities”) and persons in the immediate family of such individuals (spouse, parent, child, sibling, partners, and their respective spouses, and foster and step-relations) regardless of where they reside, or those living in their same household (whether or not related) as any person in any of the preceding categories may be prohibited from participation or ineligible to win any prizes associated with the Member Track.
- AGREEMENT TO RULES: All participation in the Member Track shall be governed by these General Rules and any other rules, policies, terms, and conditions that may be implemented by SHRM in its sole and absolute discretion. By participating in the Member Track, Participants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound to and accept these General Rules and any additional terms and conditions whether or not specific to the Member Track implemented or otherwise communicated by SHRM. By participating, Participants agree to be bound to the decisions of SHRM (and its authorized representatives), which are final and binding in all matters.
- HOW TO PARTICIPATE: In connection with the Member Track, SHRM will announce all material information relating to the Member Track, including the applicable competition periods and details on how to enter and participate. All announcement relating to the Member Track will be made on SHRM’s website at [https://www.betterworkplaceschallengecup.com/]. SHRM’s clock/server/computer is the official time keeping device for purposes of any dates or time restrictions imposed for the Member Track. All participation must comply with these General Rules. Participants are solely responsible for understanding all rules that apply to their participation, including the General Rules, and determining the correct time zone in its respective jurisdictions. Member Track Entities disclaim all liability or responsibility relating thereto.
- GRAND PRIZE: The top Participant (“Winner”) will receive: (i) the Member Track award trophy; (ii) an expense paid trip to the SHRM 2024 Annual Conference; and (iii) $1,000 USD cash prize (collectively, the “Grand Prize”). Expense paid travel will consist of the following: flight and hotel accommodations for two (2) nights for Winner (up to 1); (ii) flight reimbursement up to a maximum of $1,000 USD per domestic ticket and $2,000 USD per international ticket for Winner; and (iii) hotel accommodations reimbursement up to a maximum $300 (including taxes & fees) per room, per night. SHRM reserves the right to make changes at its discretion to the expense paid travel.
- TAXES: The Winner and Participants are solely responsible for any and all federal, state, municipal and local taxes, fees, and other government assessments associated with receipt and use of a prize or participation in the Member Track. Federal and state withholding laws are subject to change without notice. The withholding laws in effect at the time the prize is claimed will be followed, and individuals may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form W-2G, Form 1099 or similar federal and/or state tax filing document by SHRM (if required), which the winner will be required to sign at a time and in a manner determined by SHRM in its sole discretion.
- a. SHRM reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who: (i) tampers or attempts to tamper with the operation of the Member Track, including the any entry process or SHRM’s website; (ii) violates the General Rules; or (iii) acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE Member Track IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SHRM RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- b. Member Track Entities are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users, human error, tampering, hacking or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Member Track and assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission (including availability or accessibility of the internet), incompatibility, communications failure, theft, loss or destruction of Entries, nor for the failure to capture Entry or other information. Member Track Entities are not responsible for injury or damage to Participants’ or to any other person’s computer or mobile device related to or resulting from downloading materials from or use of any Website. If, for any reason, the Member Track or any element thereof is not capable of running as planned by reason of, but not limited to, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, force majeure, technical or other failures or errors, or any other causes similar or dissimilar which SHRM deems, in its sole opinion, could corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Member Track or any element thereof, SHRM reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Member Track or element thereof and select the winning Participant(s) from non-suspect, eligible entries received prior to the action or as otherwise may be deemed fair and equitable by SHRM. In the event of any discrepancy, ambiguity, inconsistency, printing or any other error or miscommunication in any communications, announcements, advertising or promotional materials relating to the Member Track, these General Rules shall govern.
- c. SHRM shall have no responsibility or obligation to a potential winner who is ineligible for the prize, or is unable to or who does not accept the prize, for any reason.
- d. Prizes are awarded “as is” without any express or implied warranty or guarantee from SHRM, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. Only the prizes described herein are available to be awarded; in no event will the Member Track Entities be responsible for awarding more or different prizes than stated herein. Prizes cannot be assigned, transferred, or substituted, except by SHRM which may, at its sole discretion, substitute a prize or any part thereof with a prize of equal or greater value. Prizes are not redeemable for cash; any difference between the actual value and ARV of the prize will not be awarded as cash, or otherwise unless otherwise stated.
- e. The Member Track is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Google, or any other social media or similar platform where the Member Track may be promoted, advertised, or otherwise used to disseminate information relating to the Member Track. You understand that all information is being provided to SHRM, and not to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Google, or any other social media where the Member Track may be promoted, advertised, or otherwise used to disseminate information relating to the Member Track. SHRM is not responsible for practices, terms or actions taken by any of these or other social media and web services sites. You understand that you are required to comply with terms and conditions of those social media platforms.
- PUBLICITY RELEASE: To the fullest extent permitted by law, Winner grants to Member Track Entities the right to use his/her name, likeness, hometown and biographical information and, as applicable, any name, logo, trademarks or other similar identifying marks for Winner’s business organization (if Winner has the legal ability to grant such rights), for any lawful purpose (including but not limited to advertising and promotion), in perpetuity, in any media now known or hereafter developed, worldwide and on the Internet and World Wide Web, without further permission or compensation, except where prohibited by law. By accepting any prize, each winner agrees for himself/herself and for their heirs, executors and administrators to release and indemnify and hold Member Track Entities and their respective officers, directors, employees and representatives harmless from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, costs or expenses, including without limitation property damages, personal injury and/or death, arising out of participating in Member Track, or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, or while preparing for, participating in and/or traveling to or from any prize related activity and claims based on rights of publicity, rights of privacy, defamation or prize delivery.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:
- Ownership. As between SHRM and Participant, including its affiliated business organizations, SHRM is the exclusive owner of the Member Track, and all materials and other intellectual property created by or on behalf of SHRM, including Presentation Recordings, materials and other intellectual property relating to the Member Track, any SHRM or SHRM affiliate conference, or its related events, or other SHRM or SHRM affiliate programs (collectively, “SHRM Intellectual Property”), are and shall be the sole property of SHRM, and SHRM shall be deemed the author of such works for all purposes, and Participant hereby conveys to SHRM any interests Participant might otherwise have in such property. SHRM hereby grants to Participant a non-exclusive, royalty-free, revocable, world-wide license for the Term of this Agreement, to use the Presentation Recordings on its website, social media channels, or in other Participant materials, including promotional materials, related to Participant’s participation in the Member Track; provided that Participant may only use those portions of a Presentation Recording that highlights Participant, and not any portion that includes another Participant or another Participant’s products or services. Upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement, Participant’s license to use the Presentation Recordings shall terminate. Participant shall retain ownership of any materials, products, or services created or owned by Participant prior to commencement of this Agreement, or independently developed during the Term of this Agreement, including Participant information, any presentations, materials or demonstrations prepared by Participant for participation in the Member Track, and products and services highlighted as part of Participant’s participation in the Member Track (collectively, “Participant Intellectual Property”). Participant hereby grants to SHRM a non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, worldwide license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, reproduce, publish, and creative derivative works of, all application information, the presentations, demonstrations or other materials provided to SHRM hereunder, in any media, including in any promotional materials for the purpose of providing, administering and promoting the Member Track, SHRM and its products or services.
- Trademark Usage.To the extent Participant is the owner of or controls the usage rights for Participant’s business organization’s name, logo and any other Participant trademarks (hereafter, collectively, the “Participant Organization Trademarks”), Participant hereby grants to SHRM a non-exclusive, revocable right to use the Participant Organization Trademarks for the purpose of providing and administering the Member Track, including in any marketing or promotional materials related to the Member Track. SHRM is the owner of federally registered trademarks for the “Society for Human Resource Management,” the “SHRM acronym,” and of several other trademarks (hereafter collectively, the “SHRM Trademarks”). Except for any SHRM Trademarks included in any pre-approved promotional materials or SHRM Intellectual Property, which SHRM has licensed to Participant hereunder, Participant shall not have the right to use the SHRM or any other SHRM Trademarks, in any manner without the prior, written approval of SHRM.
- Copyright Warranty. Participant represents and warrants that Participant Intellectual Property is not defamatory, does not infringe the copyright interests or other rights of third parties, and that Participant owns all Participant Intellectual Property or has the right to convey any licenses provided under the Agreement. Participant shall indemnify SHRM against any claims which may be made against SHRM on the basis that Participant Intellectual Property is defamatory or violates the copyright interests or other rights of third parties.
- INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY: BY PARTICIPATING, YOU, INCLUDING YOUR AFFILIATES AND FAMILY MEMBERS (AS APPLICABLE), AGREE TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW TO RELEASE, DISCHARGE, AND HOLD HARMLESS SHRM, OTHER MEMBER TRACK ENTITIES, AND THEIR PARENT, AFFILIATES AND SUBSIDIARY COMPANIES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, MANAGERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS (“RELEASED ENTITIES”) FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL ALLEGED OR ACTUAL CLAIMS, CAUSES OF ACTION, DEMANDS, LOSSES, SETTLEMENTS, LIABILITIES AND DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER EXISTING NOW OR ARISING IN THE FUTURE (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, BODILY INJURY, PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, DISABILITY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE, VIOLATION OF PROPRIETARY, PUBLICITY, PRIVACY OR ANY OTHER RIGHT), COSTS AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, COURT COSTS, SETTLEMENT AND DISBURSEMENTS) DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ARISING OUT OF USE OF THE ENTRY IN WHOLE OR IN PART, THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF A PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN THE MEMBER TRACK, PROMOTION OR PRIZE RELATED ACTIVITY, ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE, OR OTHER PARTICIPATION IN THIS MEMBER TRACK. By entering or accepting a prize, YOU covenant to the fullest extent permitted by law not to sue any Released Party or cause them to be sued regarding any matter released above, and not to disaffirm, limit, or rescind this release. A waiver by one or more of the Member Track Entities of any term in these General Rules does not constitute a waiver of any other provision. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW CERTAIN LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THE FOREGOING MAY NOT APPLY TO EVERY ENTRANT. Any provision adjudged to be invalid shall be struck from these OFFICIAL Rules and the remainder shall continue in full force and effect. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE MEMBER TRACK ENTITIES AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, OR CLAIM RELATED TO OR ARISING OUT OF THESE GENERAL RULES, OR PARTICIPATION IN THE MEMBER TRACK EXCEED U.S. $1,000.00.
Some Jurisdictions do not allow certain limitation or exclusion of liability, so the foregoing may not apply to every entrant. Entrants further understand and agree that all rights under Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California (“Section 1542”) and any similar law of any state or territory of the United States that may be applicable with respect to the foregoing and other releases contained herein are hereby expressly and forever waived. Entrants acknowledge that Section 1542 provides that: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.” The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims.
- FORCE MAJEURE: Member Track Entities shall not be liable to Participants, the winner or any other person or entity for failure to execute the Member Track, or supply a prize or any part thereof, by reason of any act of God, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulation, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, terrorist act, cyber-attack, earthquake, war, fire, flood, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, epidemics, pandemics, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, cancellation or delay of any event, or any similar or dissimilar event beyond their reasonable control.
- DISCLAIMERS: SHRM is not responsible for telecommunication or hardware or software failures, including by reason of any bug or computer virus or other failure. SHRM may cancel, modify, or terminate the Member Track (including winner selection and prizes) without prior notice if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection of computer virus, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure or technical difficulties of any kind.
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION/ARBITRATION: Any disputes between the SHRMs relating to the terms of these General Rules, or the breach thereof, shall be submitted to binding arbitration in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Arlington County, in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association (the “AAA”). SHRM and Participants each agree that any dispute resolution proceedings will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class, consolidated or representative action. SHRM and Participants each hereby waive the right to participate in any class action, whether in court or arbitration. In the event that either party desires to arbitrate any such dispute, such party shall so notify the other party and the SHRMs shall endeavor, for a period of 30 days, to resolve such dispute without arbitration. In the event that the SHRMs cannot resolve the dispute within such 30 day period, then within 10 days thereafter, the SHRMs shall jointly designate a single arbitrator to hear the dispute, or, if the SHRMs are unable to jointly select an arbitrator, an arbitrator shall be chosen according to the rules of the AAA. The arbitration, including the rendering of the award, shall take place in Commonwealth of Virginia, Arlington County, and shall be the exclusive forum for resolving such dispute, controversy or claim. The decision of the arbitrator shall be final and binding upon the SHRMs hereto, and the expense of the arbitration (including without limitation the award of reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs to the prevailing party) shall be paid by the losing party of such arbitration (as the arbitrator determines). The decision of the arbitrator shall be executory, and judgment thereon may be entered by any court of competent jurisdiction. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration, SHRM and Participants each waive any right to a jury trial.
- SEVERABILITY: The invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability of any provision of these General Rules shall in no way affect the validity, legality, or enforceability of any other provision hereof. Any invalid, illegal, or unenforceable provision shall be deemed severed from these General Rules and the balance of these General Rules shall be construed and enforced as if these General Rules did not contain such invalid, illegal, or unenforceable provision.
Contact Us | 800.283.SHRM (7476)
SHRM provides content as a service to its readers and members. It does not offer legal advice, and cannot guarantee the accuracy or suitability of its content for a particular purpose.